i completed the build and was testing the functions using the suggested universal g-code sender. all functions seem to be correct except the Z direction. when i select the z+ movement the router moves vertical and when i select the z- movement it also move vertical. the only time it will move down is if it engages the homing switch. i double checked the connectors and pins both are all snug. i also swapped the stepper motor driver with another position that was working properly and have the same issue. i reaches out to millright customer service and they suggested exactly what i said i already did in the email and now haven’t received any additional responses.
Which machine do you have? Z+ should move the motor mount up. Z- should move it down. The only time the limit switch is involved is during the homing operation. Are you getting any alarms or errors displayed in UGS?
Bruce Rogers Carve King, bCNC, Huanyang VFD with 1HP Spindle. 19" Mega V, DeWalt 611
Same thing here only it's the X-axis that will only move in one direction. Y and Z are behaving normally. I literally just connected it to UGS this morning and had to leave for work prior to looking into it.
I'll get back on it tonight but if in the meantime anybody has any pointers I'm all ears.
Bruce - Thanks for the reply. I did just that and the problem moves to the other axis so the fault is in the control box. Unfortunately, prior to getting much further the Z controller started randomly faulting (red LED) and now the control box will not power up with the Z motor control connected (dead short @ V+ and ground). With power disconnected (6-pin connector removed) it (and by "it" I mean the other two axes) powers up and functions normally. The X appears to have fixed itself.* I've contacted support for help at this point.
*I'm a motorcycle tech by day so I know nothing "fixes itself" and in this case I can only surmise that the underlying fault was only tangentially related to what I was initially seeing.
In case somebody else comes across this issue here's how it worked out for me: while probing the stepper driver terminal blocks measuring voltage the machine began behaving normally. I removed a few of the wires from the blocks and found that some didn't have quite enough insulation removed and so the terminal blocks were pinching the insulation instead of the wire. I stripped back a bit more insulation, twisted and soldered the tips and re-installed. So far so good.